Sep 08, 2020

Omission of aged care staff from retention payment is “shameful”, CEO tells minister

 

The CEO of a New South Wales retirement village has called on the federal health minister and a local MP to explain to key aged care workers – a laundry supervisor, a cleaner, a grounds manager, a caterer, a maintenance officer, and a receptionist – why they are not entitled to the Aged Care Workers Retention Bonus.

The payment designed to support the workforce actually “divides” the workforce, wrote Shane Neaves, chief executive officer, Peninsula Villages, in a letter to aged care minister Richard Colbeck and Lucy Wicks MP, Member for Robertson.

“I openly invite you Senator and our local member to address the ‘non-direct care’ workers who have risked their own personal safety to work in the aged care sector and provide important interaction with our residents as to why they aren’t being rewarded.

Mr Neaves said the omission of these key staff from the payments was “shameful” and “just plain mean”.

A letter from the Department of Health in response fails to acknowledge the important contributions of these workers.

“The COVID-19 aged care retention bonus is a measure focused on the retention of direct care workers, recognising the particular role they play in the care of individuals,” Mr Colbeck wrote.

We have published the two letters below. 

Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 11.30.12 am
Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 11.30.27 am

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 11.30.42 am
Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 11.33.33 am

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  1. Where the money goes “…Healthcare for All?—[our $270B Defence budget]. Were [we] challenged by the but how will you pay for it question? No. Did taxpayers’ rates go up to pay for this military budget? No. Were other programs cut to fund this exorbitant investment in violence? No. That is not how it works….” https://americanethnologist.org/features/pandemic-diaries/post-covid-fantasies/reparative-public-goods-and-the-future-of-finance-a-fantasy-in-three-parts

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Vaccinating the highest-risk groups first was the plan – but people with disability are being left behind

With Australia’s COVID vaccination campaign set to open up to over 50s on May 3, many at-risk Australians eligible under phase 1A are still waiting. Last week we learned only 6.5% of residents in disability care homes had received the vaccine. Read More

Over 70s advised to stay home: strict new guidelines

The government has released strict new guidelines that recommend older people stay at home and “self isolate” as much as possible. In a press conference yesterday, the prime minister said the government’s “strong advice” was for people aged 70 years and over to stay at home and self isolate “for their own protection”.  The tougher... Read More

Where’s my retention bonus? One in four aged care homes have failed to apply

  The government’s aged care ‘retention bonus’ has been plagued by controversy from the outset, and is widely seen to have been bungled by the government. The Minister for Aged Care, Richard Colbeck, announced the aged care worker retention bonus back in March: a $800 payment for residential aged care staff and $600 for home... Read More
Advertisement